Thursday, January 15, 2015

Parmesan crusted BBQ Top Sirloin Filet - Healthy: YUM-E!!!

Oh my goodness, I literally just scarfed down this meal... it was so darn good I couldn't wait to share it. It is so darn easy, too... got 15 minutes? Cause that is all this recipe takes...

I have to admit, I am not a fan of filet mignon. To me, I find that YES it is tender (almost too tender; when I think of a hearty steak, I want to chew a bit of heartiness), but NO it is not flavorful.

I'd love to dig into a ribeye on the regular, but that is certainly not the Healthy: Yum-E option. Rib-eyes are "marbled" with fat (meaning they have thin lines/layers of fat running through the steak); this allows for it to be the richest, juiciest, yummiest steak ever, especially if seasoned right! But, again, NOT a Healthy: Yum-E option.

Top Sirloin filet. I heavenly discovered top sirloin filet. Affordable, lean, tender but still has bite, pretty darn cheap and freaking delicious! $7.99 a pound compared to A LOT more for other cuts of steak!


Parmesan crusted BBQ Top Sirloin Filet

1 6-8 oz top sirloin filet
1 1/2 t. BBQ rub (I used "Butt Rub" - don't hate the name, hate the BBQ game, cause this stuff is BOMB!)
1/4 t. garlic salt
cracked black pepper, to taste (for me that means practically a tablespoon!)
Cooking spray
pan
hot oven
1-2 t. grated Parmesan cheese
Oven on broil

Yep - that is all you need. Heat oven to 400F. Rub your steak with the seasonings mentioned above. Spray an oven-safe sauté pan with cooking spray. Bring to medium-high heat. Sear on all sides and on all edges. Transfer pan to oven; cook to desired temp. 
I love my steaks medium-rare, so I left it to cook in the oven about 6 minutes (honestly didn't count). I add 1 t. of parmesan cheese to the top of the steak, and broil for about 45 seconds until slightly golden.

You can use a meat thermometer if you've got one, OR, you can do what I do... "under promise, over deliver" - I would much rather have a more rare than a more well steak, so I underestimate. 
If you are a "well done" person...ehhhhhhh...try to adjust :) LOL, j/k - to each his own.
My tip to the well-doners: start with a thinner cut or butterfly your steak before cooking so it doesn't dry out by the time you've killed it ;)



Pair your steak as pictured with some fresh veggies (microwaved steamed garlic seasoned spinach perhaps) and a side salad -- VOILA!

Damn Delicious. Record scarfing down time. Protein. Veggies. Deliciousness. HEALTHY: YUM-E!


Follow us, pretty please!
 IG: @HealthyYumE
Facebook: Healthy: Yum-E
Twitter: HealthyYumE
Google+: +Jessica Russo 
BlogLovin': Healthy: Yum-E!


No comments:

Post a Comment