Thursday, January 15, 2015

Banana Chocolate Chip Superfood Muffins - Healthy: Yum-E!

I have to say... I am so impressed with these muffins. I had no recipe, just made it up along the way and BAM! Deliciousness.

I wasn't sure if I was just being easy on myself, so I brought them to work. My co-workers immediately wanted the recipe.

Banana Chocolate Chip Superfood Muffins

3 medium over ripened bananas
1/3 cup applesauce (I use Mott's Healthy Harvest granny smith) *apples = superfood
2 egg whites
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup ground dates (sub for sugar - natural sugars are obvi more of a superfood than processed!)
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. cinnamon (almost a superfood)
1/4 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (obvi, again... more of a superfood than white flour! :))
1 1/2 T. Chia seeds (superfood)
1 T. ground flax seeds (superfood)
1/3 cup chocolate chips (I used mini semi-sweet chips - you can totally leave these out for lower fat!)

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare muffin tins with muffin liners and lightly spray paper liners with cooking spray (I used mini muffin tins). Mash bananas in large bowl; add and blend in all wet ingredients well. In separate bowl, blend dry ingredients with whisk. Incorporate dry ingredients into wet
gently, just until blended.



Divide into mini-muffins tins - about 1 1/2 T. in each. Bake for about 10-11 minutes until toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. Makes about 36 or so mini-muffins!

Baking time depends of if you bake in mini, regular or large muffin tins, or if you opt for a loaf. Mini muffins cook fast, about 10 minutes. I will have to estimate the rest... regular muffins about 18 minutes or so, or large about 25 minutes minutes, and loaf about 40 minutes or so. Just keep an eye on it, and if you think they are lightly golden and done, test with toothpick. Does it come out clean, take it out! It will cook a little bit more while cooling. 



Banana Chocolate Chip Superfood Muffins - Healthy: YUM-E!


Follow us, pretty please!
 IG: @HealthyYumE
Facebook: Healthy: Yum-E
Twitter: HealthyYumE
Google+: +Jessica Russo 
BlogLovin': Healthy: Yum-E!

Nutrition Facts, per serving (2 muffins)
Calories 134.7
Fat 2g
Carbs 24.6g
Fiber 3g
Sugar 14.6g
Protein 3g
Sodium 131.6mg
Potassium 113.7mg

No comments:

Post a Comment