Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Simply Tangy Balsamic Vinaigrette (Whole30 approved!)

I am historically a pre-made dressing kinda gal. They are quick and easy and tempting.

Sure, you can find premade’s with low calorie counts and even fat free. It has always been super tempting to purchase the lowest calorie dressing and then use 2-3 times the serving amount of 2 T.  I felt no guilt using them. HOWEVER, I started to think: What could they possibly put in here to make it seemingly a vinaigrette if it only has 20 calories per 2 T??? It can’t be oil, but it looks like oil… what the heck is in there?

Have YOU ever thought about what they are putting in those mixes to make them taste good WITHOUT those calories and fat (et cetera)?

Have you ever looked at the labels of some of those bottles?

Plenty of sodium, soybean oils, high fructose corn syrup, other sugar, sometimes a TON of BAD fat, preservatives and words I can’t pronounce nor understand.

Nutritionist Keri Glassman cautions that what "light" dressings save on calories and fat they often more than make up for in sodium and sugar. So true.

Personally, I am a vinaigrette gal almost always. I love the tang of vinegar in my salad! If you are with me and want an easy, quick homemade version that is delicious but also healthy without a bunch of junk, allow me to introduce you to my Simply tangy Balsamic Vinaigrette!
















Simply Tangy Balsamic Vinaigrette

3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 T good balsamic vinegar (I used Publix Organic - it is affordable!)
2 t spicy brown or dijon mustard
1 T water
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t basil
1/4 t oregano
1/8 t onion powder
1/8 t garlic powder
pinch (or 3) of crushed red pepper (option - but I love spice!)

Add all ingredients to small tupperware - put on the cap (tightly!) and shake, shake, shake. There you have enough for 4 generous 2 T servings.

Nutrition Facts per recipe
Calories: 460
Fat: 42g
Sat Fat: 6g
Sodium: 700mg
Carbs: 15g
Sugar: 6g (no added sugar - from Balsamic vinegar)
Protein: 0g

Nutrition Facts per serving (4 total)
Calories: 115
Fat: 10.5 g
Sat Fat: 1.5 g
Sodium: 175mg
Carbs: 4g
Sugar: 1.5g
Protein: 0g

www.thesoulworx.com
IG: @TheSoulWorx

No comments:

Post a Comment