Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tuesday Tips for Healthy: YUM-E! cooking — LEMON!

Welcome to Tuesday Tips!

I started posting tips for Healthy: Yum-E cooking when I initially started this blog. However, I kinda sucked at keeping up with posting them. A new blogging spirit has come upon me, and I am committing to posting tips EVERY Tuesday! There it is... I said it "out loud" therefore I WILL commit :)

Each Tuesday, I will share my own tips, as well as features from other blogs that I really LOVE!

Without further ado...

Tuesday Tip for Healthy: YUM-E! cooking — LEMON!



Lemons are AWESOME. And not JUST for tea and lemon water...

When I think of FRESH food, I think LEMON! A simple squeeze of a lemon over any dish and most drinks gives it that extra kick of fresh goodness.

Giada De Laurentiis from FoodNetwork talks about her love for lemon ALL the time! Lemon juice and zest is often an ingredient in her cooking, whether she's whipping up a recipe for a pasta dish, a dessert or a good ole cocktail! 52 recipes on her personal blog list lemon as a star ingredient along with countless others on www.FoodNetwork.com.

PopSugar says, "saying lemons are a superfood is an understatement" in their article highlighting their top 10 Reasons Lemon Juice is Good for You. The cite that not only do lemons assist with weight loss, but they also aid in digestion and have "anti-cancer properties".

Perhaps my favorite line from the article, "...they add abundant flavor to a variety of dishes...". 

YES! Yes, yes, yes lemons DO!

Just today alone, I squeezed lemon into hot tea, added a extra spritz to my Lemon-dill baked chicken (previously prepped meal), and I generously squeezed lemon over my apple-almond butter afternoon snack!

Lemon is great in marinades; the acidity helps breakdown meats which can help in creating a more tender cooked product.

Lemon is AWESOME on fresh fruit, and helps keep some fresher, longer.

Lemon is a natural pair with any fish or seafood - when was the last time you had fish/seafood at a restaurant and didn't get a side lemon?!

Lemon is amazing in chicken or tuna salads (along with fresh dill like in my Lemon Dill Tuna Salad).

Lemon is great when cooking veggies for added brightness, especially greens! I almost ALWAYS squeeze fresh lemon over roasted veggies (Roasting veggies has been featured as a Tuesday Tips before!).

I dare you to give lemon a serious try, on a lot of things! I believe you will find the brightness of flavor it adds to most any dish is just delightful (and light, practically calorie free! and full of vitamins).


Cheers to LEMONS!

Follow us, pretty please!
 IG: @HealthyYumE
Facebook: Healthy: Yum-E
Twitter: HealthyYumE
Google+: +Jessica Russo 
BlogLovin': Healthy: Yum-E!

No comments:

Post a Comment